It is becoming increasingly important for researchers to be able to operate their instruments remotely. Below are some notes that may help in this regard.
- 1 Video Conferencing
- 2 Remote Desktop
- 3 Viewing
- 4 Data Access
- 5 Distanced Computer Sharing
- 6 Instrument Tests
May need to improve WiFi signal in certain lab spaces.
- Purchase a tablet:
- Initiate a video conference session, either:
- Use Google Meet to create a new meeting.
- Email the link.
Double 3 Telepresence Robot
VNC is a generic cross-platform protocol for remote desktop. Free and open-source viewers/clients and servers are available for all major operations systems.
Solution: Network KVM
Solution: Network Web Cameras
- Linux system (accessible via SSH, scp, rsync, etc.) that hosts an NFS shared drive to Windows machines (via Samba).
Distanced Computer Sharing
If two people want to co-operate on a single computer, while maintaining distancing, there are some options:
- Use the remote desktop solutions (e.g. VNC) mentioned above. This allows a second person to remotely view/control the computer.
- Use a network/remote KVM switch to remotely control the computer.
- Mirror the display to another nearby monitor. There are several ways to do this:
- A video splitter and long cables.
- A KVM splitter (a.k.a. reverse KVM, a.k.a. "2-way KVM Extender") allows two users (with separate keyboard/monitor/mouse) to both control a single computer.
- For Mac, Luna Display allows one to use an iPad or another Mac as a mirror/extension of the computer.
- Have a WiFi tablet near the computer, allowing the user of that computer to video-conference with someone else (and use the tablet camera to show what is on screen).
- Point a web-camera at the computer screen, allowing a remote participant to see what's happening.
Vendor uses proprietary web-based "OnSite platform" for remote connection.
We are planning an upgrade to the tool:
- Upgrade computer to Linux (will provide more remote control options)
- New cassette for loading multiple wafers and doing automated exchange
Percy has remote access and a functioning web camera.