In GISAXS, GIWAXS, and other grazing-incidence techniques, the refractive index difference between the film and the ambient causes the incident and scattered x-ray beams to be refracted. This extent of refraction depends on the incident and exit angles. Thus, the data that appears on an area detector in a grazing-incidence experiment is non-linearly distorted. This makes data interpretation more problematic.
The GISAXS refraction distortion shifts the data along , leaving unaffected. The amount of the shift is given by:
Where is the incident angle, and is the critical angle of the film.
When computing theoretical scattering patterns, one must account for the refraction correction. The correction is essentially an application of Snell's law, where one using the x-ray refractive index for ambient (), the thin film (), and the substrate (). For an incident angle of , one computes a refraction of:
That is, the direct beam shifts by . For a given , one can convert into scattering angle:
The scattered ray refracts as it exits from the film:
- Byeongdu Lee, Insun Park, Jinhwan Yoon, Soojin Park, Jehan Kim, Kwang-Woo Kim, Taihyun Chang, and Moonhor Ree Structural Analysis of Block Copolymer Thin Films with Grazing Incidence Small-Angle X-ray Scattering Macromolecules 2005, 38 (10), 4311-4323. doi: 10.1021/ma047562d
- P. Busch, M. Rauscher, D.-M. Smilgies, D. Posselt and C. M. Papadakis Grazing-incidence small-angle X-ray scattering from thin polymer films with lamellar structures - the scattering cross section in the distorted-wave Born approximation J. Appl. Cryst. 2006, 39, 433-442. doi: 10.1107/S0021889806012337
- Rémi Lazzari, Frédéric Leroy, and Gilles Renaud Grazing-incidence small-angle x-ray scattering from dense packing of islands on surfaces: Development of distorted wave Born approximation and correlation between particle sizes and spacing Phys. Rev. B 2007, 76, 125411. doi: 10.1103/PhysRevB.76.125411
- D. W. Breiby, O. Bunk, J. W. Andreasen, H. T. Lemke and M. M. Nielsen Simulating X-ray diffraction of textured films J. Appl. Cryst. 2008, 41, 262-271. doi: 10.1107/S0021889808001064
- Lu, X.; Yager, K.G.; Johnston, D.; Black, C.T.; Ocko, B.M. Grazing-incidence transmission X-ray scattering: surface scattering in the Born approximation Journal of Applied Crystallography 2013, 46, 165–172. doi: 10.1107/S0021889812047887
- Simulating X-ray diffraction of textured films D. W. Breiby, O. Bunk, J. W. Andreasen, H. T. Lemke and M. M. Nielsen J. Appl. Cryst. 2008, 41, 262-271. doi: 10.1107/S0021889808001064
- Indexation scheme for oriented molecular thin films studied with grazing-incidence reciprocal-space mapping D.-M. Smilgies and D. R. Blasini J. Appl. Cryst. 2007, 40, 716-718. doi: 10.1107/S0021889807023382
- Grazing-incidence small-angle X-ray scattering from thin polymer films with lamellar structures - the scattering cross section in the distorted-wave Born approximation P. Busch, M. Rauscher, D.-M. Smilgies, D. Posselt and C. M. Papadakis J. Appl. Cryst. 2006, 39, 433-442. doi: 10.1107/S0021889806012337