The Complex Materials Scattering (CMS) beamline at NSLS-II is a synchrotron instrument focused on x-ray scattering. It is located at 11-BM (bending magnet port) on the NSLS-II floor, and features a three-pole wiggler source. It can perform SAXS and WAXS experiments, focusing on high-throughput and 'intelligent' machine-guided exploration of parameter spaces.
CHX can perform a variety of experiments:
- Can perform experiments from 10 keV to 17 keV.
- Energy resolution (double multilayers): 10−3
- 0.003 Å−1 to 4.2 Å−1 (209 nm to 0.15 nm)
Ultimate resolution (detector pixel limited) is 0.0002 Å−1.
|beam size (mm)||beam divergence (mrad)||pixel size (mm)||pixel FW @ 5 m (mrad)||pixel FW @ 5 m, 13.5 keV (Å−1)||resolution, FWHM (Å−1)|
At start of endstation (bim3 ionchamber):
- 1.6 ×1012 ph/s/0.1%bw (1.5 × 0.1 mrad; diagnostic mesh in-place; 13.5 keV, 250 mA ring current)
Near sample position, full beam (no slits):
- 1.3 ×1012 ph/s/0.1%bw (13.5 keV, 250 mA ring current)
For 13.5 keV, 250 mA ring current:
|S4 slits size (mm)||beam divergence (mrad)||beam V size at sample position (μm)||beam flux at sample/detector (ph/s)||olog|
|0.100 H × 0.010 V||0.10 H × 0.10 V||33||2×109||819_1|
|0.100 H × 0.010 V||0.10 H × 0.05 V||22||1×109||821_1|
- With divergence of 0.1 mrad H x 0.05 mrad V and S4 beam size of 0.1 mm H x 0.01 mm V, "knife-edge" smy scan implies beam FWHM of ~ 22 um V at sample and flux of 1e+9 cts/s as measured at Pilatus (with attenuation factor included).
With divergence of 0.1 mrad H x 0.1 mrad V and S4 beam size of 0.1 mm H x 0.01 mm V, "knife-edge" smy scan implies beam FWHM of ~ 33 um V at sample and flux of 2e+9 cts/s as measured at
- Typical 50-100 µm
- Beam can be shaped (using slits) to 10 µm.
CMS has taken 'first light' and is currently completing technical commissioning. General User access is scheduled for summer 2017. Access will be possible through the NSLS-II proposal system, and through the CFN proposal system. Interested users should contact beamline staff.
- Beamline phone number: 631-344-1911
|Masa Fukuto (beamline lead)
|Ruipeng Li (beamline staff)
|Kevin Yager (partner user beamline staff)
- The CMS beamline configuration is stored at: https://github.com/NSLS-II-CMS.
- See Software for a list of software useful in SAXS/WAXS experiments.